An O-1 visa is a type of visa issued by the United States government to foreign nationals who demonstrate extraordinary ability in their field of work. It is granted to those who possess exceptional skills in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. The O-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa, meaning that it is temporary and the visa holder must leave the United States upon its expiration.
In order to obtain an O-1 visa, applicants must demonstrate extraordinary ability. This means they must possess a level of expertise significantly above that which is normally encountered in the field. To qualify, applicants must show that they have received sustained national or international acclaim and recognition for their achievements in their field.
Applicants must provide evidence of at least three of the following criteria:
- Receipt of a major internationally recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize, or a similar award for excellence in their field.
- Membership in an organization that requires its members to have extraordinary ability.
- Published material about the applicant in professional or major trade publications or other major media.
- Evidence of participation on a panel, or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or similar field.
- Evidence of original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field.
- Evidence of authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade publications or other media.
- Evidence of a high salary or other remuneration for services in relation to others in the field.
- Evidence of commercial success in the performing arts.
Additionally, an applicant must demonstrate that they are coming to the United States to continue work in their field. This means that they must provide evidence that they have a job or contractual agreement in the United States and that they will be working in their field.
The O-1 visa is a great option for those who are looking to work in the United States temporarily and possess extraordinary abilities. It is important that applicants meet the criteria outlined above in order to be approved for an O-1 visa.